Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Charly Harper Emulation


This is an emulation assignment based on the work of Charly Harper. If you haven't heard of him, you should check out his work. He does very very simplified interpretations of animals almost to the point that they would fall apart as random shapes if he pushed it any further. He is amazing in the way he is able to keep it all together, though, and still make his designs readable, almost from first glance. Mine is a viper fish, slightly combined with some attributes of a lantern/angler fish. Our assignment was Deep Sea.





Check out some of Charly's stuff here: 

4 comments:

  1. OH MY MOSES HOGAN! This is amazing! I can't believe it, I looked at Charly's art and this could give that artist pause! The fins of the fish are amazing, along with the lights. Jarom, THIS IS SUPERB! I love how the light is described in ring after ring, glowing less bright! I also now want to watch Finding Nemo! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! I'm glad you like it. Funny story. I was looking up reference photos of these creepy fish for this online and i was getting really tired, like when you are nodding off, reading your scriptures before bed. So I take a nap and this design popped into mind. The power of sleep and dreams, I'm tellin ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guy I love it. It turned out real sweet! Guess it was worth staying up past 1:00 a.m. to finish it. I'd say the power of sleep, dreams and the other side!! You have got talent and are on your way to big and better things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the direction you took with this and how you combined two fish instead of just one or the other. This turned out absolutely aMAZing!!! I wonder what other cool combinations you could create with this technique...*wink wink,* *nudge nudge* ;)

    ReplyDelete