Friday, March 16, 2012

The Creative Process

Whenever I would see a great drawing or painting made by someone I would get so jealous, thinking, "man, they are so good. They can just pull out these drawings from scratch like it's nothing!" Little did I know how much practice, planning, and pre-work professionals put into their finalized pieces. In fact, I would go as far as saying that their work is so great because they put more effort into research and practice in order to achieve such amazing finished products. So here is a little bit into my creative process. It is not very professional, and it is pretty messy, but this is how I get from point A to point B in my process as of now.

You may recognize this little guy. A new assignment was to take this design and
turn it into a painted miniature design, keeping the theme connected somehow. If you
don't know what a painted miniature is, it's those little figurines you would find in comic shops
that those awesome middle aged men use to play their fantasy games. :)
Check out WarHammer on google and you will see.
So I thought I would make a warrior based off
a centipede and a snake, making it a bit more
realistic than my original design.
These are knowledge based studies of
elements I thought I would use.
From There I moved into creative studies, playing around
with different poses and possible structures of
my new guy. This is where I feel I am weak.
I wasn't able to come up with any strong ideas
to begin with
In a bit of a rush to turn my assignment in on time, I ended up creating this.
I was very dissatisfied with the result. It was very sloppy and the whole
time creating it, I was struggling to understand how I wanted the body to be posed
and how to make it read as something solid and believable.
Even though I had turned in my assignment, I was determined to redeem
myself by finding a way to better "see" what I really wanted and
figure out how I could create a suitable design. I recently
finished constructing an awesome sculpting wheel, so I busted
out the clay and made a simple figure to pose.
THIS CHANGED MY WORLD! I COULD SEE WHAT I WANTED!
And here is the final result. There are even some things
that i still want to change and improve on, but overall, this
design turned out so much better with all the pre work behind it.


5 comments:

  1. Your dedication and hard work never cease to amaze me. And your awesome work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is REALLY great. As I have already said, the texture is AMAZING, and I can't wait to see your finished 3D model. It really is amazing how much better things can turn out when ya really dig in and research before you draw all the things. I am really impressed with your ability to solve problems---the way that you took out the clay and started sculpting when you couldn't figure the pose out on paper. Way to go, bro. You are so smart. I think that solving problems is a really BIG part of art. ESPECIALLY animation. Even things that seem so minute can really screw things up, and you have an eye for detail and you know how to fix things up! :) YOU DA BEST! Jarom, you are such a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Thanks you guys. It certainly feels good when you solve those tough ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the finished product of the armored lizard man...thing ;) Watching the process from start to finish in any art form always fascinates me. Keep up the awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete